Sunday, August 5, 2007

Larger than Life

Jeff and I (and the Griffin family) took Jack Everett to the Dinosaur exhibit at the Witte Museum this week.
.
Of course he is outfitted for the occasion in his 'Dino shirt' from Mamaw and his 'Dino hat' from Aunt Mel.

Jack wanted Daddy to hold him at first. It was dark, and the roars were loud. I couldn't really tell whether he thought they were real.

Lucky for us, the baby dinos were hatching that day. :)

He got closer, but not too close.

Crawling in a dinosaur footprint.

Jack Everett finally gets up close and personal.
------

I remember visiting the Witte Museum on many a field trip growing up in San Antonio. I remember it being very very big, and I remember the exhibits being AWESOME!

All these years later, the experience was so different. I was struck most by how very small the Witte was compared to my oversized memories. I mean, we were there for an hour, and we had definitely seen every exhibit. It is similar to when I went back to our house in Boerne, TX a few months ago, and it seemed so small compared to what I remember from my childhood. I remembered this HUGE hill in front of the house we used to fly down on our bikes and in wagons. Today, I see that it's a low-grade slope at best. The same was true when I remember my Great Grandma Burkart's "Treasure House." Trey and I used to go through the Treasure House and find awesome things like calendars from the 1940's. When I went back a few years ago for her funeral, it was really just a shed. Trey and I could hardly believe how tiny it really was. As a child, I loved the Witte Museum, loved our "cottage" in Boerne, and loved exploring Grandma Burkart's Treasure House.


As a Mom, it's so much fun to see the world through tiny eyes again. I can see that Jack Everett is making memories just like the ones I made when I was little. I see the excitement when I allow him to get a Happy Meal toy, or the wonder when he gets to see the "animals" at the Bass Pro Shop. It's easy to let my adult realism creep in. It's easy to think, "It's just a small museum and it's all the way across town." or, "He does not need those McDonald's toys. They just end up in garage sales." It is easier to keep a room clean without a HUGE Lightning McQueen tent in his room and Thomas the Train track spread out all over the rug. It's cheaper not to buy the Diego and Dora Dixie cups. Sometimes I have to remind myself to let him live large and have some of these special things. I have to make myself go ahead and buy the pajamas that actually turn him into Spiderman (Thanks Aunt Sharon!)
.
One thing is for sure: Good or bad, he will have memories of his childhood. I just want him to have memories like the ones my parents created for me; Memories that are larger than life.
.
To see all 32 pics from the day:

No comments: