Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Where have I been?

I haven't posted an update because I feel that I need to write a really long post explaining everything that's going on. Because I have no time for said really long post, here it is... as Austin Powers would say, in a nutshell.

Jeff was finally required to leave the Training Manager position at Bjorn's and return to the sales floor "until the economy turns around."
This means long hours, weekends, and more importantly, 100% commission.
This means I need to go back to work full-time. Like, yesterday.
This means Davis will be in daycare. All day. Every day.
This also means I have to give up my awesome part-time job in the Children's Ministry at Gracepoint.
Amazingly, a former colleague (gotta love HR networking!) called me up to discuss a Staff Recruiter position at Methodist Hospital. Wow!
I interviewed, loved the team, and was offered the position.
I accepted the position starting January 4th, 2010.
Daycare is reserved at a cool $840 per month. Jack will take after-school van from Scobee to daycare every day (with a couple of his friends.)
Then we had our car accident.
The "investigation" is on-going, and our car is determined a total loss.
We have the rental until Friday. (meaning I have two days to clean the back seat since it's already covered in milk and crumbs.)
Thank goodness my Mom and Jeffry offered us their third car until I can get my first paycheck.
Funny (not funny) thing was, the day we picked it up from them, Mom got into a fender bender on the way home from work. Thankfully, her car is driveable... for now.
Then, in an instant, Davis had my flip phone in each hand. As in, tore it into two parts. As in, all information is deleted.
So, I finally got that all straightened out, but am SLOWLY restoring my address book. Manually.
My back is still killing me, but I am finally feeling some relief after my third chiropractic treatment today.
So, I am basically sitting under four piles of paperwork... one for injury claims... one for my new job... one for the daycare (thanks egg allergy) and one because I am the Kindergarten room Mom and the Christmas, er, Holiday Party is Friday.
We decided to nix the full-size Christmas tree since I knew I was pretty much flying solo this month and didn't have it in me to keep a dimpled blonde busy body out of it. So, we have our little three-foot table top tree up and strung some lights on Jack's bedroom curtain rod. Voila! Winter Wonderland at the Griffins!
Last night, Jeff got home at about 8:50pm (tonight it was 10:10 before he came home) and we heard this loud CRASHing sound in the garage.
It didn't take us long to realize the spring busted across our automatic garage door opener.
Great. We added it to "the list" right after the living room ceiling fan stuck in the ON position and the house phones which don't hold battery charge. *sigh*

So, it seems like it's just one thing after another... after another. I am trying to keep my spirits up and taking steps to avoid becoming totally depressed. I am determined not to miss the magic of Christmas. I realize that my trials are so trivial compared to those others are facing. I realize that I am so lucky that I usually have help from my husband every night. These few weeks of "going it alone" are just another huge reminder of ALL that he does for us and what he means in our lives.

I attended a webinar at the Hospital today about "how HR uses Twitter to recruit talent." It was exciting to get dressed up again and be in that corporate environment again. I enjoyed all of the tweet jokes and the corny HR humor. I had almost forgotten how much fun that is. I know deep down I am going to enjoy so much of it, but I know Davis has no idea how much his little life is about to change. There is no way to prepare him (or myself.) It will be incredibly hard dropping off the boys on that first day... especially after having Jack home all day every day over the holidays. I get all teary eyed just writing about it.

So this turned out to be a long post after all. That's okay. It sure beats paperwork!

I can't (with my back) sit in this chair any longer to correct the spacing and indentation. Oh well.

Oh yeah, and follow me on Twitter!

@MBGRecruitSA

So far I have one follower. My new boss.

:)


post signature

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow! That is A LOT you have going on. I can definitely commiserate with the late work nights and weekends. Although, to be fair, I'm only dealing with one child and she doesn't get around like Davis does. Congratulations on your new job. If you get a chance or just need to vent you can always call me...

Steph said...

Melissa,
You had me in tears by the end. I'm sorry so much is happening at once. It is so hard to give up staying at home with the kids. I still struggle with that. Enjoy the rest of your time home and good luck with your new job.

SA Photo Girl said...

Melissa, lots of things can be said that you will hear from many others. Sorry to hear things are trying right now, congratulations on the new job, it's hard to deal with change when it deals with change for your children, too, etc. However, in the end its all good. God will be there for you and your family as you transition. Have strength and faith and all will be good. Sincerely, Lisa

Nicki M said...

You've definitely got a lot going on! Congrats on the new job. I'm still looking (almost 6 months now!). I hope everything calms down soon for you!

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

Sorry for all your troubles. Cheer up girl, you will be okay.

Besides, The COWBOYS WON!!!